Sunday, February 12, 2012

Can dogs & cats get poison ivy? or just transfer it to humans?

I'm allergic to poison ivy so I stay away from it. I was petting a friend dog (who runs out in the wooded area of their fenced yard) and I got poison ivy on my hand. I guess they don't get it since they have fur.

Can dogs %26amp; cats get poison ivy? or just transfer it to humans?
Pets can carry it on their fur.

Poison Ivy emits an oil like substance.
Reply:never heard of a cat with poision ivy



but as to you catching it from cat or dog YES



ivy produces an oil (urushiol) on its leaves ((thats what makes them look shiny, and its that oil you are allergic to

so if cat rubs on it or dog russles through it, then you touch cat or dog, you can end up with urushiol oil on your skin, and skin will react



((I used to get poicon ivy so bad theyd have to give me cortisone (NOT the wimpy over the counter solution either!)

shots! I got poison ivy VERY bad.



So ended up knowing couple things.



Ya know the Chinese shellac furniture with that oil!

(or a tleast they did still in the 70's)


No comments:

Post a Comment